(Fwd) Coins

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 21:14:17 +0000

(Having problems getting this message through for some reason).

I, too remember the coins that we don't call Lunars being known as Guilders. Seems odd, really: probably an import, as people have said. But they were also known as shillings: and, just to confuse the issue, as pennies. For those of us who were brought up with twelve pennies to the shilling, having them as different names for the same thing seems like a pretty odd idea. Didn't Stars come into it somewhere, too?

Who mints the coins in Sartar, anyway? Pre-occupation, that is. Is it a centralised thing, with a mint in Boldhome, or do all the tribes mint their own, or both, or what? Both would probably add most MGF, I suppose: each tribal king brings out a new coin to advertise his latest victory. And the coins are different sizes: any tribe that can mint big coins is obviously on the up and one to watch. Great fun, but maybe this gets too complicated to play?

Of course, if each tribe mints their own coins, they probably each have their own name for them. Then there's purity levels (Lunars are purer than Guilders, they say, but you still won't find me accepting them. Who needs chaos-tainted coins?)

Oh, and while I've heard of coins made of copper, silver, and gold, how about other metals? Iron coins, for the ludicrously wealthy? Coins carved out of semi-precious stone? What do mermen use: they can't cast metal, surely?

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/