Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #224

From: Simon D. Hibbs <S.Hibbs_at_fcrd.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 17:32:39 +0000 (GMT)

> From: michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se (Michael Raaterova)
> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 12:26:45 +0100
> Subject: Runes
>
> Simon Hibbs asked
> >Is there a Silver rune, or a Sea Metal rune, or a
> >Wood rune?
>
> Of course there are. The monomythical runes we all know and love are but a
> fraction of all the runes. An important fraction though. But there are lots
> of lesser runes like Ice, Wood, Wolf and Crafting, the power over which can
> be gained through runequesting.

So presumably there is a quicksilver rune and a sea metal rune as well?

I'm not so sure. One part of me says that all writing and symbolism is magical in some way. In the earliest historical times all writing was considered magical - often regardless of what was actualy written. On the other hand, I believe that in Glorantha the magical runes are distinct from non-magical scripts.

If runes are as prolific and wide ranging as you say, you are actualy describing a complete magical pictographic script, in the mould of the egyptian and meso-american hieroglyphic scripts.

> IMG all divine spells are runes in their own right (albeit small ones), and
> the gaining/ learning of those is a runequest.

I think this detracts from the importance of the 'true' (ie known) runes. IMHO the runes associated with a god define the teritory covered by the god and the rune powers of the cult fall within these bounds. Having hundreds of mini-runes just clouds the issue.

Interesting idea though, and very thought provoking.

Simon