Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #222

From: Simon Phipp <simon.phipp_at_walshwestern.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 09:11:43 +0000

>>I know that bad Dragonewts
>>are occasionally reborn as newtlings, but this is beyond a joke.
>
>I don't know about you but IMG Magisaurs and Newtlings are seperate
>species.

They are, but see WF14 (the best source on Dragonewts) and check out the scenario - there are two newtlings who are reborn dishonoured dragonewts.

> Why do the Dragonewts make slaves of Newtlings?

Because they can.

> Why do Dragonewts send embassies to Newtling enclaves (like the Five Eyes Temple)?

Do they?

>>"Two-bit demigod"? Strange description of the father of Storm, but
>>never mind.
>
>Er, Umath *is* Storm according to the monomyth but never mind...

Sorry, just using poetic license.

> In the Ivory Pages edition of the GRAY, there is reference to
> how Umatum, a planet, circles inwards and disturbs the orbits
> of various other planets (some which drop like stones, others
> go flying off the ends of the earth etc) before being cast down
> by Shargash. IMO the current stars of Orlanth's ring are the
> shattered fragments of the original planet Umatum.

Hmm, apart from going around the wrong way, this could be a description of Umath. When he tore the Earth and Sky apart he would have disturbed some planets, especially those who fought against him. Shargash, Solar God of Storm, would be an ideal person to defeat him and perhaps gain Storm Powers from Umath.

In the Solar mythology, when was the Sky parted from the Earth and how? I know that the Sky supposedly withdrew from the world in disgust at its evilness, but that is probably a Solar morality story.

Simon

If it has stats it can be killed.
If it is in the rules it can be abused.
If it is mentioned it can be targetted.
People can change the world and screw up the Timeline. Restrictions are for NPCs, not for PCs.

Taking Power Gaming to new extremes (in a sensitive, role-playing way, of course)