Two-handed fighting

From: Andrew Barton <100010.533_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 28 Feb 97 10:52:22 EST

One of the main changes between RQ2 and RQ3 was to make two-handed weapon fighting much less effective. This is why I think that was a realistic change:

There are two-handed weapon fighting styles around in Earth's history, (rapier and main-gauche, samurai with two swords) but all the examples I've come across are used in one-on-one duels. In thirty years of wargaming i've never yet found an example of troops on the battlefield equipped in this way. Soldiers who didn't carry a shield are found with one two-handed weapon, not two one-handed ones - the advantage of this seems to have been in reach more than in any extra damage done.

One advantage of a shield over a parrying weapon on a battlefield is that it is far more effective in stopping missiles, especially volley fire against troops in formed bodies. Also, troops in formation are helped by the shields of their neighbours as well as their own.

Most weapon training in an ancient society is going to be aimed at training for fighting in groups rather than single duels, and the cultural weapon skill and prior experience rules reflect this.

Andrew