St Orlanth

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 12:27:30 +1300

Jose Ramos:

[On Saint Orlanth]

> However as his Glorantha is as true as mine, instead of discussing
>that, I will discuss the other thing that I did not like: SAINT Orlanth.

>There is a clear difference to me between Saints and Gods.

Just as mortal men can be turned into gods in glorantha, then gods can be de-euhumerized into pious saints. Several Gloranthan Malkioni sects have acquired the convert-winning habit of 'discovering' that the pagan gods of heathen barbarians were actually pious malkioni in 'real life' who worshipped the Invisible God. As well as the Henothiests, the Sedalpists, the Jonatings and the Valkarians of the East Isles all have Saints whose antecedents are rather spurious in the eyes of more orthodox folk.

[As an aside, I don't think the Rokari or the Hrestoli are shining white in this matter - the Rokari probably venerate some Serpent Kings as saints].

So rather than being a quasi-central genertelan cult, St Orlanth would be considerably more westernized, ie its priests are really wizards, the laity use low sorcery, IMO. The barbarians from the North are really more sophisticated than those of the eastern wilds (think of Canute's Danes) and their cults would be considered to be positively sorcerous by the later [no scope for this in the official roolz, alas].

Finally on the name front (this applies to de Hall's version as well as Effingham's), the names are far too close to that of Sartar. Worlath would be used instead of Orlanth, Ralia instead of Ernalda, Zotualla (sp?) (or even Xemala!) instead of Chalana etc.