World Realism vs. Max Game Fun

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 00:16:14 -0500 (EST)

> While we are on the subject of myths, I'd like to tip my hat to Martin
> Laurie and David Hall regarding the God Learner Monomyth. IMHO, the GL
> Monomyth that we all learned in GoG and RQ2 is not even particularly
> Jrusteli. I suspect that it is an interpretation of the Jrusteli monomyth

> preserved by the grey-bearded sages of Nochet. I don't use it for the
> Heortling settlers in Quiviniland.

       Oh, I suppose there's something to the idea that RQ version of the Monomyth is the LM sage interpretation of the original. Not much of a problem there. I do have a problem with the "Burn the Monomyth Heretics" arrogance and (frankly) rudeness of certain comments that have been made, however. After all, it's all a fictional contsruct and MGF is more important than comformity to the Digest Lore Lords.

> Further kudos to Alex Ferguson regarding Associated Cults. Increasingly,
> am of the opinion that the very rigid initiatory status described in RQ2
> and RQ3 is just plain wrong. Most worship of Issaries, Lhankhor Mhy,
> Chalana Arroy, and a host of other dieties, is done by "Orlanth initiates"

> at the "Orlanth Temple". Same can be said about the agricultural and
> fertillity goddesses being done by "Ernalda intiates" at the "Ernalda
> Temple".

            Hmm, yes and no. Joe Average of Sartar would certainly worship and seek assistance from the associates of the main diety at the main dieties temple, sure. But I wouldn't want to get away from people dedicating themselves to specific cults other than Orlanth (or whoever); I like having roaming Issaries traders and studious Lhankhor Myh intiate sage aspirants and so on; it's more fun (to me) to play such folk than to play an Orlanth intiate who worships the others through Orlanth. But still, yeah, those folk are a tiny percentage of the population.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...