Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #233

From: Ingo Tschinke <tschinke_at_nord.de>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 15:32:44 +0100

David Dunham answered on my question about Naskorion:

>Methe the Traveller of the Belovaking clan once visited Naskorion: "I never
>saw anyone eat a baby or sacrifice an alynx while I was in Naskorion, but
>they were probably all on their best behavior. The Naskori know the
>Greeting, but they don't worship Orlanth properly. For one thing, their
>temples are square and have roofs. Their farmers are not allowed to
>worship, nor can they own horses."

IMO the religion of the old native inhabitants of Naskorion has its roots in the Orlanth culture, but this faith get suppressed by ruler caste which comes from the west a few hundred years ago. Since this time the religion of the Orlanthi faith as you may find it in Delela or other east ralian realms get lost to the natives.

>In my campaign, Naskorion is basically "Aeolian*" -- Saints+ Orlando and
>Ralia are the two most important gods. Their cults are much as in GoG,
>except sorcery replaces spirit magic. As a Delelan, Methe doesn't have a
>good understanding of the caste system -- Farmers are in fact allowed to
>worship Orlando Thunderous, though not the other aspects. (Knights worship
>Orlando the Warrior, and Lords worship Orlando Rex. Wizards may worship any
>of the aspects, and of course other gods as well.)

I agree with you that the normal pobulation of Naskorion is nearly similar to the Aeolian church of Heortland, but not with so straight through whole pobulation. It is more a mixture of Malkion and Orlanth belief. As Jose Ramos states about the Malkioni I would say the Malkioni tends to take some heredary gods of this regions as saints (because in truth they have been good malkioni ever since). IMO the ruling castes have very different faiths of all colours. Some belief in the Aeolian church, as most of the peasants do, some belief in some obscure Arkat cults and some tends more to stygian belief of the old dark empire. Rainard de Faucille get all this different streams together in one cult which is connecting all different faiths in one church - the new Stygian Church of Naskorion. With aspects of Darkness (through St. Zorak Zoran the holy avenger; St. Orlanth - the lightbringer etc.). I will try to sent a translation of this church on one ot the next digests.

>The Naskori are much like their Orlanthi neighbors, though since they live
>in flatter land better suited to agriculture, they don't have the cattle
>fixation of the Delelans. Their horses are slightly larger, and instead of
>melodious bagpipes, they play the dread accordion.

Interesting statements. Do you have more of this informations.

>* But nothing like the Kethaelan Aeolians; they're a different Stygian
>heresy which favors the storm pantheon.

I agree with you wholeheartly.

>In my campaign this hasn't happened yet, and there's little Darkness
>worship. However, unlike their Delelan neighbors, the Naskori don't hate
>Arkat, and they won't rise up in rebellion when their Duke adopts an
>unusual new religion. I see few of the common folk joining the Duke's
>Stygian Church, but anyone who seeks political advancement will become a
>member (and the Duke will make membership practically a condition to hold
>title from him).

No they didn't because the see this relgions only as such of the rulers. The duke is a real mighty man with hold all power in his hand.

>While I'd make it fairly flexible (they're pseudo-Orlanthi), I'm sure you
>can't just switch castes at will. There are probably tests, though not as
>strict as the Hrestoli, and I'm sure the nobility can raise you up a caste.

The caste restrictions are not so easy as told in the description. The duke prefers mostly not caste movement at all and won't support it for the native people but he has to think on the trolls also. And for trolls castes are very unusal.

Cheers

ingo