Airpower

From: Benedict Adamson <ben_at_cd.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 13:26:45 +0000

Flying insects must beat their wings to fly, they can not glide like birds. Ages ago I read an article about this; I think there is a correlation between wing-beat frequency and disorder, so insects and hummingbirds swarm, whereas geese fly in formation.

One problem with the troll airforce would be that their 'aircraft' aren't evan bird-brained!

The analogs insects (trolls)=helicopters and birds (Yelmists)=aeroplanes are probably right.

Insects couldn't make swooping attacks. If they swarm, I guess they are continually changing direction, so missile fire would be impossible. I suspect the trolls would use their flying trollkin in the same way they use the trollkin
on foot: as a swarm of distractions while they move the real fighters into position. I doubt insects could fly high and steady enough to make good highaltitude  bombers.

I like the idea of Yelmists flying giant birds of some sort. I reckon the WW2 RAF would be a good analogue: stiff upper lips, upper class accents, strict discipline, formation flying, well trained. They would, of course, always attack out of the sun.
If they exists, they would be the flyers that could do REAL damage. Being well trained, attacking fast out of the sun, in close formation, they could concentrate their attacks and escape before there was an efefctive counter attack. I can't imagine trolls bothering with airshows, but the Yelmists would just LOVE them.

Other thoughts: use telekinesis to guide 'smart bombs' to their targets. The TK only has to correct the aim, rather than fly the bomb, so you don't need much STR.

BTW How good is troll eyesight. My recollection of the 'official' sources is that troll eyseight is as good as humans. I think that is ridiculous.