Momomyth Stuff

From: Malcolm Serabian <R_Carter_at_msn.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 97 00:12:01 UT

Martin Laurie Says:
As for MGF, the problem is that the monomyth destorys MGF as it curtails exploring mythic structures in Glorantha and the wonderful dichotomies between the subjective views - some of my greatest MGF is exploring the differences between an Orlanthi mythic view and a Shargashi mythic view and on personal level, finding out how things happened or possibly happened to create the cults we have in 1620. By doing this backtracking we find out even more about the cultures our characters are in and about the past and who it affects the present.
Frex David Dunhams Brolian character always rambles on about the need to destory Lokamayadon - in 1350, though all the Sairdite Orlanthi with him keep telling him that Lokamayon was crushed by Harmast in the first age - Davids character doesn't believe them because the Shamans told him otherwise and these people he is with are obviously sadly misinformed about their supposed knowledge of LMs demise. Its all a trick!

I don't know about anyone else's games, but in the game that I run I am the only person who knows anything about Glorantha. I'm also the only person who cares about Glorantha. My players do not want to "Explore mythic structures and wonderful dichotomies"! They want to have a few laughs pretending to be adventurous heroes and anti-heroes. They are busy people with hobbies and interests outside of Glorantha. They can just about handle reading What the Priest Says, and What my Father told me. The monomyth makes Glorantha more user friendly. Instead of having to memorize 5 different gods of the cold sun, 1 makes things just a little bit easier. It is a way to get new players and gm interested in Glorantha. It is IMHO a necessity if Glorantha is going to grow and survive in the game marketplace. Now I'm sure some people will probably be thinking, if this guy wants to play in a simple and easy world let him play D&D. BUT I don't want to play in the Forgotten Realms, I want to play in Glorantha. I'd just like to not have to have my players get a degree in Gloranthan Mythology in order to play the game, and understand the supplements!

Malcolm