Re Onslaughts stats

From: Martin Laurie <102541.3423_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 05 Mar 97 14:26:27 EST

David Cake
>(snip) but it must be remembered that the outrage about Onslaughts stats
>came not as a reaction against stats in general, but as a reaction by
>active players that they should be so high. In other words, Onslaughts
>stats were controversial not because it interrupted our reverential
>contemplation of the manifold sun gods, but because people who actively
>played and knew the rules well thought they were, ahem, a little over the
>top. Wether they were or not, though, they certainly weren't found
>objectionable because of some bizarre anti-rules jihad.

This is true. Mostly folk objected to the stats on the grounds that they didn't make sense re the way the rules play - which was of no interest to me as I don't play the rules as in the book anyway.

Besides, over the top, as I have found, is relative - Jeff Richard, the esteemed Taming of Dragon Pass Seattle referee has commented frequently to me that Onslaught would be about Harreks level in his game whereas I think Harrek should stomp Onslaught in a few seconds. However, in Simon Phipps much machinegunned campaign, not doubt Onslaught would be one of the bouncers outside the Duck & Bitter Lemon pub and no-one of consequence - but maybe not, I'm just guessing. Sorry to shoot Simon again, he's just such a big target and I can't resist...

Anyway, I reworked his stats as they were most unrealistic - that bite attack % was way too low...

Martin Laurie