Humakti, deathbeds and infertility

From: Jon S Green <jonsg_at_harlequin.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 15:36:50 GMT

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997 05:20:47 GMT, Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie> wrote

> David Cheng votes early, and as is recommended in these parts, often:
> > Count me as another vote against the supposed consensus opinion that all
> > Humakt initiates are sterile.
>
> Moi aussi.

Et moi aussi, aussi...

For me Humakt completes a cycle: the fertility gods create, the living gods oversee the life, and Humakt and the Death pantheon oversee the transition through Death.

Death is a grace, wielded responsibly (and who more responsibly than a Humakti?), a completion, an end, a transition.

Humakt cannot wish to see all living beings dead, before their proper and allotted time. Death can only exist in the presence of life, and Death cannot be brought to Chaos without Life to carry it there. There is time enough. Humakt will get his due.

Likewise, Humakt cannot wish to see an end to the creation of life, even amongst his own followers. The offspring of Humakti, receiving the austere and serious upbringing of their parents, are most likely to become followers, Swords and therefore righteous reapers in their own right. More Souls For Humakt!

There is even an argument, extending the above, to say that Humakti have the responsibility to create life (without excess), to provide Humakt with the tools he needs to bring Death where it is most needed, and to provide him with the worshippers he needs.

Regarding the Humakti at the deathbed, I _love_ the idea. Applying Sever Spirit much as a tribal shaman would wield the Peaceful Cut, to bring peace, has a wonderful, compassionate ring. And Humakti who don't possess that most powerful of spells can certainly learn a Skill of Euthenasia, to be applied in the same wit.

Sure, Humakti can be fierce, fearsome adversaries, but surely they can be compassionate too?

Here's an idea to throw out: Chalanna Arroy Healers and Humakti priests work together. Sometimes, a patient is injured beyond CA's abilities to heal them back to health, Resurrection is infeasible for good reasons (the Healers can't repair the body in life to sustain life; how could they repair it in death to house life again?) and is suffering horribly. CA cannot bring Death, that's just not in their remit, but they cannot abide the continuance of suffering either. So - with the patient's permission - they call in the Humakti Priest, and the sufferer's own religion's holy person. After the dying person's own cult's final rites have been completed, the Humakti administers Euthenasia to ease their spirit on.

Jon
- --
Work: jonsg_at_harlequin_co_uk << CHANGE '_'s | http://www.harlequin.co.uk/ Private: jonsg_at_pobox_com << TO '.'s! | http://pobox.com/~jonsg/ PGP key available on request -=- Opinions stated may not be Harlequin's! Junk email utterly unwelcome. See http://pobox.com/~jonsg/junkmail.html

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #255

WWW at http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~loren/Rolegame/glorantha.faq.html