shrines and the founding thereof

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 20:30:23 +0000

First I want to echo Jane Williams, that is some wonderful stuff about shrines and the founding of such within greater temples. It conjures up a scene where the priest in the sacred time ceremony says the ritual phrase "and now is time for the secrets that were once hidden to be revealed; if you know something new of XXX whom we have gathered together in this place to praise and worship then let it be known to all," and somebody gets up and starts telling a story and acting it out and it involves everybody at the place in a never-before-understood facet of XXX's existence, and nobody, not even the priest, expected it to happen. Do you think that might have been how Harrek got the bear god? Or is that how lots of heroes, many of whom are neither respectful of protocol nor particularly nice, make their changes to the cults? I now think so. And that's why people tar, feather, and throw the trickster out of town before the ceremony can begin.

Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu> A priest, a rabbi, a Penn student, and an elephant walk into a bar. The bartender says, "what is this, some kinda joke?"