Kitori

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 18:56:11 +0800

>1) Am I correct in assuming they are a mixed Troll-human culture?

        Yes.

>2) What is the rough ratio of humans to trolls (majority, minority, about
> equal)?

        I'm not sure, but I'd suspect more humans than trolls, but not too big a dichotomy.

>3) Are any of the Kitori half-trolls like the tusk riders?

        No. Or at least, I've never heard it mentioned, and I don't think its likely, and it would be an unusual magical occurrence.

        The King of the humans and the Queen of the uz are married, but this marriage takes ceremonial form and is probably never consummated. KOS openly talks about the Queens lovers as Kitori troll shock troops - ie the King and Queen are 'married' but it is accepted that they will have lovers of their own species.

>4) What deities do the Kitori worship, do the humans worship Kyger Litor?

	The main tribal deity is Argan Argar.
	This is mildly controversial, as every so often someone comes up
with an outrageous theory about how the tribe is all about Orlanth being married to KL, and stealing someones sandals (and spells) is just another way of saying 'I love you'...

        .... but I am willing to argue for Argan Argar as their main deity for a very long time, and vaguely recall it being confirmed from Sandy many many digests ago. There are lots of things to support this, including historical plausibility (if both races worship AA, then its easy to see how the tribe evolved in the time of the Only Old One or thereabouts), we know there are powerful Argan Argar worshippers in the area, and we know the trolls of the Kitori devote a lot of effort to controlling the trade routes.

        Given that Argan Argar is the prime tribal deity, there are a bunch of other issues still unresolved.

        For example, who are the other major deities? I think Kygor Litor among the trolls, possibly Ernalda among the humans (the AA as Ernaldas husband thing from Esrolia?). But I think a generous amount of ancestor worship from both.

        And what are we to make of the figure of Voraz Kitor, who appears in the Broken Council? Quite possibly the tribal founder.

        And just what is their territory? And do they worship Arkat at all?

>5) In RQ terms, would the Kitori count as a barbarian or civilized culture?
> (put in RW terms are they a state-level society with writing or not?)

        Barbarian I think. There are no cities in the troll woods, which is where I think most of the troll population is. I think of the Kitori as being mostly forest dwelling, though there are people who think their territory extends as far as Whitewall (John Boyle in RQA#5?).

>6) Are the human Kitori as nocturnal as trolls?

        I don't think so. Again, see the Other Argrath story in KOS for supporting evidence. IIRC its only the troll warriors who participate in their big night attack, for example. Could be wrong, though. I'm sure the Kitori are more nocturnal than other Orlanthi.

        And the neighbouring tribes have the Night Jumpers, mad Orlanthi who go flying through the night sky ambusing trolls. Yikes!

        Cheers

                David