Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #277

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_gsidanet.danet.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 97 18:39:55 EST

> Brian:
> I'd be interested if anyone knew of the existence of *Issaries* before the
> coming of the Jrusteli? It's a chicken-egg question. Which came first:
> Issaries of the *cult* of Issaries (i.e. the God Learners)?

If I recall, Gonn Orta knew Issaries personally (thus probably before the later left on the Lightbringer's Quest, in a pseudo-Time sort of "before") and was converted to his worship.

Thus there must have been some god with Issaries characteristics pre-Dawn, or earlier. Presumably this Issaries-ish god (the LBQer) was joined to the other related worships (some of which may have been him at earlier "times") during the Broken Council/Gbaji Wars period. This process certainly was continued during the Jrustelan Trade Empire, especially then including the Divine Spell Trading aspect/abilities.

> From: Paolo Guccione <teigupa_at_tss.tei.ericsson.se>
> DH stated that most Humakti temples in Sartar are shrines in Orlanth
> Great Temples. But I have always thought that in Maniria Humakt had
> permanently severed his kinship to Orlanth and was no longer part of the
> Storm Tribe (he is still connected to Orlanth in Ralios, this I know for
> sure). What is the source of David's statement?

As far as I can see (speaking as a different David) the Orlanthi are heavily into the delusion that Humakt is part of the Storm Tribe of Gods. What Humakti feel about the Orlanthi after His having Death stolen from them is not important to the Orlanthi PoV (sarc). The Ralians worship Humath, which is Monomythically the pre-Severance form. Practically, it is just a war god with as much similarity to Humakt as has Yanafil Tarnil. Frex, Humath cannot grant reusable Sever Spirit.

If there are Humakt shrines in Orlanth temples, the Humakti probably use them as a convenience, but I doubt that they are the temples. The real temples are probably sacred standards (like the Spear of the Black Company, to shift out of Glorantha, or the Roman Eagles) or special icons like the Wooden Sword, kept in places of safety except during major wars. Thus, while the Wooden Sword was there the Sazdorf shrine was a full temple, but after it was reclaimed by the Elf Humakti the ruins site reverted to shrine level.

In 1600s Sartar, they are hidden in the "hiring halls" in the cities, for the most part. Some may be in the hills with the "Cold Wind" bands, hidden in caves or under carefully maintained "ruins" ala Col. Hogan's tunnels. Plus, some may be kept in Grazer lands, with Humakti "taking a trip" when they need the full temple experience.

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #278

WWW at http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~loren/Rolegame/glorantha.faq.html