Pan-gloranthan religion

From: Simon D. Hibbs <S.Hibbs_at_fcrd.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 09:36:25 +0000 (GMT)

Hasni Mubarak :

>First, one thing that a friend said to me that he DIDN'T LIKE about
>Glorantha was that the gods are the same. What he meant, was that if
>you hopped down to Pamaltella and saw a guy with a big death rune and a
>big sword, odds are he was a Humakti, and you could pretty much guess
>about 80% of what he was and what drove him.

I suppose there may be some Humakti in Umathela, but apart from that you could probably count the number of Humakti in Pamaltela on the fingers of one hand - a Morokanth's. If there are any, they are almost certainly foregn visitors. Pamaltela has it's own native pantheons that owe nothing to the gods of central Genertela. Humakt has no place among the cultures there.

In the real world, travellers used to adopt the gods of whatever land they visited. I imagine this would also be true in Glorantha. What's the point of worshiping Orlanth if you live in Kralorela? There are no temples to worship at - not even shrines. I am runing a campaign in which the players are exploring Glorantha by boat. Most of them are westerners, so access to temples and shrines is less of a problem, but the few theists are well and truly stuffed. They have no way to regain rune magic, or sacrifice for more. If they do choose to take up local cults, that's fine by me. I probably would not even invoke spirits of reprisal except in extreme cases.

Simon