Re: Surpluses

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_gsidanet.danetinc.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 97 12:20:08 EST

> From: "Benedict Adamson" <ben_at_cd.co.uk>
> FWIW:
> When Hengest came to Britain in the 5th century, he came with '3 ships',
> which means 90--120 warriors

        Various calculations
> Therefore one warrior requires 5--7 hides. Hengest would have craftsmen,
> servants, and dependents in addition to his warriors.

Minor point. Hengist's group would probably have been all dedicated warriors, equivalent to Humakti initiates (ie, no help for harvest, possibly good hunters, no fishing [oddball old Scandinavian taboo that was fading away around that time, according to my readings]).

Servants and minor craftsmen would come from their new holdings. Only the sword and armor smiths would have come along from home. Dependents were probably sent for after settling in.

Finally, this must have been a big increase in income for them, as they sent away for all their friends. Presumably, at home, they were stuck trying to farm themselves for support (at expected levels of competency, ie, low).

Orlanthi warriors would have required even less, as they *will* farm, and depending on subcult even at reasonable efficiency. Also, the local peasantry were probably as efficient as thralls (just enough to get by).