Fourth Age Glorantha

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_gsidanet.danetinc.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 97 20:49:16 EST

> Alex Ferguson noted...
> > Just to confuse matters though, Greg _has_ dropped hints to the effect
> > of 4th Age G. not being a lozenge. Talk about yer reality as consensual
> > hunch...

Please, no. That was the worst kludge in all Tolkien, when he did it (worse than finding out that all the names in LotR were deliberately wrong), and it will fit Glorantha as badly. KoS should not be the Akallabeth. There is no good reason that Glorantha should devolve into anything Earth-like, except to end people trying to match RW reality with Gloranthan (see, it was an entirely different universe, and nothing remained of the old, so who cares if Prax is too small to have its own weather patterns, etc).

> From: <Klyfix_at_aol.com>
> Another possiblity is that the universe actually was destroyed, and
> rebuilt into a new form. A form where Glorantha might well be round and
> something like Earth's natural laws replace gods and spirits. Rune magic
> would absolutely be gone, and possibly so would spirit magic. Sorcery would
> probably survive and thrive.

Why would sorcery survive? It is clearly dependant on the relationship of caster to the (now nearly empty) Otherworld, just like Spirit Magic. It would be worse disrupted than the more primitive techniques, if anything. If Heroquesting can be made to work, again, like the KoS redactor hoped, there might well be Gods before there are any powerful sorcerors, since all their old spell fragments would be unreadable.

> On the other hand, how relevant is the whole Hero Wars thing to the
> rest of Glorantha? The East and West are only peripherally aware of the
> battle between the Lunar Empire and the Sartarites, and except for the sight
> of the Red Moon in the sky it is totally irrelevant to the residents of
> Pamaltela. After all, if the Lightbringer Quest and the God's Compromise are
> only important or known in the legends of the Dragon Pass area why should the
> Hero Wars of that area affect other lands?

The Hero Wars covers more than just the Lunar Empire vs Sartar, that just gets all the press. Zzabur is planning on sinking large parts of Fronela, the Kingdom Of War is on the loose, the elves are planning to reforest the West regardless of the current inhabitants, and something nasty is coming north from the southern edge of the world. Don't forget that the SunStop was caused by the Inhuman King gaining another stage in his spiritual growth, according to the Dragonewts, and other causes (that I forget) if you listened to the Pamaltelans or Westerners. Also, the LBQ explanation of the end of the Darkness is only accepted by the Theyalans, but the disruption that they call the Gods Wars are known everywhere (even in Dara Happa, and on Pamaltela).