mad cosmology

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 15:13:34 +1300

Nils Weinander:

>In the reign of Shavaya the enlightened were subjected
>to "temptations of the Beast". I take that as a metaphor
>for the hsunchen being ousted back then, pre-Darkness.

I thought it meant that they were conquered by the Hsunchen but remained true to their ancestral ways. But then after Shavaya comes Thalurzni who expands the empire and drives all the ex-rulers to the Kingdom of Ignorance.

Alex Ferguson:

Me>> Glorantha has two poles, the Sea of flame and Valinds Glacier.

>OK, I'll be the straight man. Why is only one pole all cold, then?
>Anyone care for an equatorial Sea of Fire, and an undiscovered
>southern hemisphere? (Obviously this is where Brithos, the Godlearners,
>and all those odd socks and missing biro's end up.)

The trouble with the an equatorial sea of fire is that it effectively quadruples the unmapped spherical glorantha and there aren't enough places listed. To wit, even with the spherical model, the land between Hell and the Sea of Flame is an Ugly Blank Spot.

Furthermore given that the Sun directly passes over the Gates of Dawn, Magasta's Pool and the Gates of Dusk, making these places non-equatorial will screw up the seasons. Hence having a Sea of Flame at the South Pole is a more palatable option. Perhaps it's caused by the Southern Jumper being attached with superglue?

>> Lightfore. Details unknown to me as yet. Difficult to visit.

>Clearly, broken off bits of Yelm, from all those High Energy Braking
>Maneouvers, accreted at one of it's Lagrange (or Trojan, or whatever,
>I forget (again)) points.

Lightfore is L-1?!? You know you may be onto something here. But I think that lightfore has existed before the Great Darkness. I'm quite unhappy with the current lunar comsology in which planets come and go willy nilly. But now I'm thinking that either the Vitheleans or the Luxites live here.

>Alternatively: it's a _binary_ solar system, with the two stars varying
>in magnitude over time in highly confusing and unrealistic ways, due to
>unrationalised transfers of mass, or whatever, resulting in all that wacky
>GRAY "swapped places" stuff. (Lightfore is a White Dwarf -- yay!)

I interpreted the "swapped places" stuff as being a metaphor in a pique of Gloranthan Realism given that nobody else reports anything funny skywise circa 110 ST.

>> Bear in mind, that these findings were rejected by the God Learners
>> as mass hallucinations [...]

>Be fair, probably never all that "mass". ;-)

Perhaps. I'm currenty wondering how a Hollow Glorantha can fit into the sketched cosmology. Maybe Surface Hell is just a big hole created by Yelm when it entered the Underworld....