4th age magic

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 03:51:19 -0500 (EST)

David Weihe noted....

> > From: <Klyfix_at_aol.com>
> > Another possiblity is that the universe actually was destroyed,
and
> > rebuilt into a new form. A form where Glorantha might well be round and
> > something like Earth's natural laws replace gods and spirits. Rune magic
> > would absolutely be gone, and possibly so would spirit magic. Sorcery
> would
> > probably survive and thrive.
>
> Why would sorcery survive? It is clearly dependant on the relationship of
> caster to the (now nearly empty) Otherworld, just like Spirit Magic. It
> would be worse disrupted than the more primitive techniques, if anything.
> If Heroquesting can be made to work, again, like the KoS redactor hoped,
> there
> might well be Gods before there are any powerful sorcerors, since all
their
> old spell fragments would be unreadable.

       My assumption was that magic is somewhat of an internal thing; you power it and impose your will upon the universe by the force of your spritual energy (something like that). Rune magic is supposedly powered by the god; you might be able to use the rune spell once after the god is dead but you couldn't get it back. Spirit magic, well, it depends on if spirits remain to teach it. People wouldn't lose their spirit magic spells, but they couldn't learn new ones. It'd likely still be around though as I doubt that the death of the gods would kill all the spirits.

     Still, that's my guesses; I'm not quite sure what you mean by "The Otherworld" or why it would necessarily be empty.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham....