Re: Sanctify, Port-a-temple

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 19:11:16 GMT

Paolo Guccione is alarmed:
> Hey, stop it here. Either I have understood nothing about the RM rules
> or somebody is going out of the way. Ok for Divination, but you cannot
> renew anything at a Sanctified spot.

Why does this necessarily follow? I could see an argument that it counts as a _shrine_ for renewing (etc) purposes, but even that's an assumption. and nowhere explicit. And note that which spell a shrine grants isn't 100% hard and fast either (cf, associate shrines in larger temples).

> If [ the HQ power of renewing RM w/o temple ]
> could be accomplished with Sanctify, why should she bother to HeroQuest
> for it?

Well, not needing to cast Sanctify and Extension VI (at least) sounds like a bit of a boon to me...

> Of course, one can argue that gathering 1000 initiates around a
> Sanctified area makes it a Great Temple. I may agree with this one.

I'm not sure that I do. At least, not as an _immediate_ effect. If you did this at the previous HHD, and maintained the Sanctify, though, say...

> Lunar military units could be able to do this, and I do not believe it
> is required that all initiates be within the sanctified area, just that
> they worship under the guidance of the Sanctifying priest.

I definitely disagree with this. Does the same apply to worshipping outside the consecrated area of a temple proper? Who, and what, precisely _does_ have to be in the consecrated area, then?

Pickily,
Alex.