[none]

From: Lemens, Chris <CNU!AUSTIN3!lemens_at_cnucorp.attmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 14:29:00 +0000

Alex Ferguson suggests more about the elf cultureal hero, including name for the Yelamio-type figure. I think he's named something like Mraelio and is the green elf cultural hero. When Zorak Zoran killed Flamal, he started hunting ZZ. He wasn't very good at it and ended up getting ambushed in Vanch. Afterwards, he meets up with HKE & others, ultimately resulting in Flamal's and Yelm's ressurections. I still have a couple of questions I have to figure out just for myself.

First, where does he get the aether powers? Fighting Wildfire in the forest of Prax (perhaps his home) would make sense, but could only get him light, not fire, powers.

Second, whe else was involved in the Flamal seedquest? So far, obviously Vronkal and Mraelio, who probably would have met up first. Then perhaps Embylos, who would possess the communication rune, thus permitting the later cooperation with trolls in the southern continent, a fact that I view as crucial for later yellow elf dominance there. Then perhaps a Slorfling, although noone but the slorflings really put any emphasis on this part. He may play a trickster role. Then a blue elf, but I don't know its role.

Then I have to figure out whether dryads are really separate from Aldrayami.  CoP indicates they are directly descended from Shanasse. GoG etc. doesn't say, but I like the CoP suggestion. So the sixth member is a dryad, remembered as elder sister. The seventh member is a Voralan, whose motives are mysterious and who completes the aldrayami seedbringer ring.

BTW, I think the HKE title is always borne by the dominant local variety, except in mixed green/brown forests and in Voralan communities. Each local variety thinks that the role of its cultural hero was the most important.  This is comic relief when it comes from a red elf.

Mike Dickson:
>What do elves write? Nobody else can read it, but to get the
>flavour, imagine a gardening manual where every chapter is
>debated and passed by the House of Commons.

Yeah! See my last post on elf culture not being hives.

Botanical question: If we classify red=swamp, green=coniferous, yellow=broadleaf, & brown=deciduous, how do we classify bushes & shrubs (i.e. runners) that live in deciduous areas, but are evergreen (e.g juniper, cedar, etc.)?

On elves using metal: I'd say that copper is Ga's fiber and crystals are Ga's sap. The rest is just dirt. Forged metals are burnt (ie dead) dirt.  Elves use a spell called liquify copper to work the stuff. It does not involve heat.

Where is the Aldrayan rain god(dess)? Voria would be the goddess of dew, but that's not the same.