Hsunchen humanity

From: Simon D. Hibbs <S.Hibbs_at_fcrd.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 09:17:41 +0100 (BST)

Troll_at_nochet.demon.co.uk :

>The article on Basmoli does indeed state that they are not human. I think
>that the way that Hsunchen view themselves is as non-human.

That's the view of the writer of the article. Aparently, most Gloranthan sages agree that the hsunchen have a separate origin from the rest of human kind in Glorantha, but that does not necesserily mean they are not human. After all, nowhere does it say that they can't interbreed with other humans. Anyway, how do we know that all the other humans all share the same origin in common anyway?

(In general. I know the Basmoli article implies this, but I think it's taking an extreme stance - not wrong, just extreme).

>Now, if you don't like this on an objective level, ok. On a subjective
>level a Basmoli or a Telmori are lions and wolves.

It's just a matter of semantics whether any individual is an animal with a human nature or a human with an animal nature. Saying that 'the hsunchen' are non-human is just as missleading and useless a statement as saying they are just human. The truth is other.

On a practical level, I'm sure it would be possible for a hsunchen to prove it's humanity through heroquest. I'm equaly sure the same hero would be able to prove kinship with the tribal totem. Does anyone deny this?

Simon