Using accents to help the game

From: Chiara Condotta <C.Condotta_at_latrobe.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:37:16 +1000 (EST)

Hello to all. I thought I should introduce myself; my name is Chiara, and I am fairly new to the digest. I have been playing and writing R.Q. campaigns for a while now, and its only recently that I have felt the need to study up on Glorantha lore. Especially since the group I am playing with are so knowledgable and I am feeling lost (and my character's feeling stupid). So, I have begun my studies...

Now to business.

In our campaign to differentiate when people are speaking in another language, we speak with an accent (ala "Allo Allo" T.V. program, which some people may have seen). For instance, when the two Orlanthi are chatting to each other in Stormtongue or Sartarite, we take on a Scottish accent.(We see Orlanthi as being similar to Scottish Highlanders)

Using different accents for different languages helps let the other players know that unless their characters know the language, their characters will have no idea of what is being said, and should therefore act accordingly.

Also, we decided that unless you are an intitate of Orlanth then you would not be able to learn to speak Stormtongue, that it is a magical language, and only those initiated into the cult could learn to speak it. The same would apply to any religious language.

Chiara Condotta :)