GLs & Illumination

From: Simon D. Hibbs <S.Hibbs_at_fcrd.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 12:12:33 +0100 (BST)

>Oh, a quick question about Lunar Occupation. I remember reading that
>people were dropping Orlanth like a hot potatoe but there were all of a
>sudden a billion and one Barntar worshipers. Is it just me, or does it
>seem odd to drop a god and pick up a new one? I mean, even a close
>associate is a different god, right? RW parralel, it's one thing to
>switch from Catholic to Episcipalion, but another to go from Luthern to
>Hindu, no? Or do I put to much value on the oaths of initiation?

I'm afraid neither analogy is even close. It's far more like a Roman Catholic switching from revering one patron saint to another due to a change in occupation, or moving from one region to another. In most cases, pagan worshipers will pary to whichever deity within the pantheon is apropriate in the circumstances. An Orlanthi farmer will perform Barntar worship ceremonies during the growing and harvest seasons, but still join in the clan celebrations at Sacred Time, perhaps taking the role of Barntar in some of the rituals.

Orlanth and Brantar are different cults with their own secret mysteries and rituals, but they are part of the same religion, so they also have much in common. In your own analogy, Hundus are a single religion, but recognise and worship many gods (Shiva, Kali, Krishna, etc).

Trent Di Renna says :

>Maybe the God Learners' "secret" was that they were Illuminated, or
>perhaps even found a level beyond Illumination.

At various times (Convulsion Lore auctions) Greg and Sandy have said that either Illumination and the God Learner technique (The 'Secret', or perhaps Runequest Sight) are mutualy incompatible. At another time they said that the two are unrelated, existing on different intelectual/spiritual 'axes' and are independent of each other. Anyway, they have unequivocaly stated that they are not the same thing.

>Also, has anybody thought of doing a "revival of God Learners" campaign?
>The PCs would find a hidden cache of old God Learner records, and
>"reform" the God Learners, so to speak. It would be different, to say
>the least.

Except that it would not work. Thrid Age Glorantha is very different to the Gloranth known to the GLs. At the dawn of the age we are told 'The Magic Changed' and the God Learner's special techniques and magics stopped working. Left weak and powerless, they were easily destroyed by their foes.

Simon Hibbs