DI, Curse of Cleansing

From: Paolo Guccione <teigupa_at_tss.tei.ericsson.se>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 14:26:00 +0200

Divine Intervention

In my opinion, the big problem of DI is how it is described in "da roolz". The Magic Book focuses on game mechanics, and many players may perceive DI as a fast way of extorting whatever they want from the GM at a small POW cost. On the contrary, Divine Intervention should result in a dramatic enhancement of the plot as the God himself intervenes to guide his worshiper along the right path.

IMHO, the key to good refereeing when a PC asks for DI is in demanding that the player describes an appropriate way of resolving the bad situation with tour deity's powers. David Cake stated he would allow most deities to reverse the effects of evil magics or bad situations, and that is clearly good for game balance reasons, but I, on my part, would demand the players to give a good explanation about how the deity could help them without breaking the Great Compromise. Frex, Storm Bull cannot teleport you out of danger, but if you are in the open he can send skybulls to carry the party away. Issaries has no healing powers but he is a psychopomp, so he can send your soul back to the land of the living and resurrect you.

As for Frederic Moulin's suggestion of making DI intentionally ineffective in order to show the players they should not have attempted it, I think this may totally disrupt suspension of disbelief. A god either ignores his worshiper's pledge or does his best to help him. Partial or intentionally mischievous fulfilment of the request is the field of chaos deities or the Trickster, a beneficial deity would never do that. However, the effect may not be exactly what the worshiper asked for. See the "Onslaught and the Vadeli" short story for a good example of odd effects of a Chalana Arroy DI :)

The Curse of Cleansing

I am worknig on the Curse of Cleansing for game reasons, and I am in need of help on the part of Gloranthan gurus. Apart from the stuff in D:LoD, where else is the Curse mentioned or described?

Paolo Guccione 		p.guccione_at_geco.it
			http://www.geco.it/~guccione