Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #371

From: reaper_at_sound.net <reaper_at_echo.sound.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 19:46:49 -0500 (CDT)

Pete Newallis here.

 I mostly lurk but feel like throwing out my two clacks tonight..

>Trent Di Renna:
>===============
>
>>1. Do acolytes or initiates get free POW increases? The basic rulebook
>>says "yes" (one point every 3 years), but the GoG Cults book says "no". I
>>would tend to think that the rulebook is correct, but I could be wrong...
>
>The one point every three years is an averaged representation of the
>individuals attendance at the high holy day ceremonies (described under
>'Worship Deity' in the magic book).

  An addtional point, that the one point per 3 years is a good way to power up older NPCs. Small thing can be done with skills. I'd say this fits the average NPC. You might want to boost it a little for better NPCs.

>From: Trent Di Renna
>RQ2 and Magic:
>
>How does RQ2 magic differ from RQ3 magic? I know that the older magic
>system has spirit and divine magic, but what about sorcery? Was this
>handled by a special version of spirit magic (like Lunar sorcery), or was
>the whole sorcery concept "Gregged in" for RQ3?

  RQ2 was centered around Sartar and surrounding lands. The western lands got a few vague lines here and there. No sorcery rules at that time. Spirit and divine magic were basically the same, just called battle and rune magic.

>Also, what exactly is a "Rune Level"? The term seems to imply that RQ2
>priests and Rune Lords have multiple ranks or "levels", but I'd sure like
>to know for sure....

  No being a RL or RP is being a rune level. It sort of works as intiate, acoylate, rune priestor lord, on the hero path, godhood.

?From: Joseph Troxell

>Ok, I'm glad someone brought up YT being "Humaktish" with the honor bit. I
>have a real problem with this. To me, a YT talking about honor (in particular
 Loyalty)

  So do the Humakti! Concepts of honor are not universal but suited to culture. YT is not the first person to change cults, but one of the ones to go farther.

>The premise of the cult is that their god, Yanafir Tarnils, went against
Humakt.
>Or is it just that the Lunars have said YT is honorable and don't let
people argue
the point?

  The premise of the cult is that YT is one of the founders of the Lunar faith. As a warrior, he was called and came to forfil the role of Wargod. His roots were humakti and he shaped his cult like that. It is a fact that YT did fight Humakt
and people tell different tales about it and draw different conclusions. I'd say YT cultists would say that loyalty and honor are relative to their faith. They aren't humakti, they are similar. Some of the difference is being part of the Lunar faith, they see truth through lunar eyes. Death is different to them, they can come back. In lunar lands nobody wants to argue the point they see YT as
honorable and loyal. In other lands, they fight it or ingore it, either by policy or
indivdual choice.

>I'm not saying that they don't, or that it's not possible. Just saying
that I don't
>see why people would think any YT is loyal and honorabble.

  Few Orlanthi or humakti would. Other faiths or individuals may see them differently.
Some people will judge more on indivdual action than mythic actions. Others will need
to interact with them and just "forget things".

 To me, a YT talking about honor (in
>particular Loyalty) is like having your accountant say, "sure, I was
>convicted of tax fraud, but trust me..." The premise of the cult is that

>From: Chiara Condotta

>Good Day to all, let me introduce myself. I am named Wend and I am from the
>Sambari Hills. I have a tale to tell, which may aid other women who need
>guidance in life.

  I really liked this stuff. I'd like to point out writings from character or game point of view is a valid way to learn about Glorantha. And most of us do end up using Glorantha as a game world.

   Cheers

     Pete