Yanafal Tarnils and more geases

From: Joseph Troxell <jmt107_at_psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 03:40:16 -0400

Whoops! Sorry if I offended anyone with my blatant mis-spellings. That's what I get for being lazy and not digging out that Prosopedia. I'm just glad that I didn't try something hard like Lankhor...Lhanckor....you know, the guy with the big grey beard! :)

It seems that I was certainly being too Humakt-centric on my Gloranthan perspective. I really appreciate all the responses. Rich Ohlsen's campaign has us good Humakti types squaring off against some of those vile Yanafal Tarnils. And since there isn't that much about the cult in "official" sources (at least those that we have), I wanted to get an idea of the background of the cult. Also, I had never heard of the notion of YT being both an independent cult and a subcult of the Seven Mothers (not sure I totally agree with that notion, but it has some merit).

So, as of right now, this is how I understand that cult (please fell free to correct me):

YT was a Carmanian. He was also a Humakti, as was his warlord. His warlord and the warlord's toadies were pretty much an unpleasant lot and heavy into oppression. YT said, "No, this is wrong," and rebelled against his warlord. Then, YT goes on to join the Seven Mothers in reforming the Red Goddess. Somewhere in here some serious, heavy-duty bad-ass Heroquesting goes on, and YT and the other six Mothers all ascend to godhood. YT ends up facing off against Humakt and the fight ends in a draw. Also, somewhere in here, YT gets resurrected. I'm guessing that is in the heavy-duty Heroquesting stage.

Now, on to something different. I was looking over the Yelmalio cult write up. One geas is, "Do not speak or help an Orlanthi." However, Yelmalio is supposed to be the only fire/sky/light god/dess that the Orlanthi worship. Has anyone dealt with this in their campaign? "Yeah, there's a Light Son in the clan next door, but don't bother asking for his help against those 400 broo storming down the valley." Or, has this been Gregged by GRAY and Elmal replaces Yelmalio in the Orlanthi pantheon?