grammar & other

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 16:10:00 -0700

Ok. As a public service I will post this, (just once), because so many people get this wrong. And not just on the Digest - I've seen this mistake in adverts!

Plurals don't get an apostrophy. (one dog, two dogs)

Possessives usually get an apostrophe. (the dog's bowl)

The pronoun "it" is an exception. The possessive "its" DOES NOT get an apostrophe. (The dog picked up its bowl.) The contraction "it is" DOES get an apostrophe. (It's a hot day.)

There may be those who don't think it's important to use good grammar, but such lapses make my skin crawl and cause me to lament the deteriorating state of the universe. Please humor me, and amaze your friends with proper grammar while you're at it.

Back to Glorantha....

>the Dara Happan Solar empire to my best knowledge pretty much always had it's
butt whupped by those smelly Dragon Pass barbarians.

Umm... here I must take exception. If you read the FS and GRoY, you'll find that the victories were pretty much give and take throughout history. Sure, DH got conquered a lot, but then they had something nifty that others wanted - fabulous real estate and lots of riches. Sartar hasn't been conquered too much, but who wants a small, cold, mountainous bit of land, infested with monsters and sheep-worrying barbarians?

You'll also find in Greg's early writing that Pelangio (a first age Dara Happan) conquered all the way into Esrolia, and then Arkat took his army all the way to Raibanth. Barbarians would raid the outskirts of the old DH empire, and then Imperial soldiers would go and scorch the barbarian countryside for a while. Sounds pretty equal to me.

> If the old EWF and Lunar Empire were to somehow meet, who would
be the victor?

Er - read the Fortunate Succession. The EWF DID conquer the DH empire. I took them a long time, and then the empire fell from withn, corrupted by the SunDragon. (Isn't that how those dragons always work?) But the DH's rallied and tossed the wrigglies out. Then they gathered a huge host to go stomp 'em for good. The rest is history...

>It seems to me that Argrath's new nation combines aspects of the Empire
of the Wyrm's Friends with traditional Lightbringer Worship. Does Argrath's Empire stretch from Tarsh all the way down to the Holy Country and across Prax, or is he simply "just" the King of Sartar?

He is magically the King of Sartar, which gives him some special unifying powers. He can get many varied peoples to work together. Yep - - he has help from Prax to Tarsh. He borrowed ideas from the EWF AND the Lunars, IMO. (THey also have the tradition and magic of joining peoples.)

And before you completely attribute the collpase of the empire to the overwhelming military might of Argrath, read the latter part of KOS again. It is evident the the empire was also collpasing from within. Rebellion broke out everywhere. Argrath even gained a lot of support from the Lodrilli once the icebreakers failed in their task. Monster armies and demons roamed about, Kazkurtem came again, and everything went all higgledy-piggledy.

I think the reasons for this collpase and defeat are due more to the cycles of myth that imbue Glorantha than to Argrath teaching loads of new military tactics to Praxians....

>Orders as old as Eusibius, and still valid.

Hurrah! All Hail the Gutter of Horse Savages! Impale them all and pile the heads... (oops).
Just getting in the proper Alkothi mindset!

Pam