Leaping bears

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 14:36:10 -0400 (EDT)

   Some rough-and-ready and totally unofficial stats for the Leaping Bear, based on Sandy's assertion that this is a prehistoric bear-dog and the stats for that particular beastie in my own game system :

LEAPING BEAR
 (*Amphicyon giganteus*)

STR  5d6+15        33-34                Move          6
CON   2d6+6            13                Hit Points  20
SIZ    4d6+12            26                Fatigue     47
INT             4              4
POW      3d6         10-11             Hit locations as a bear
DEX    2d6+6             13

Bite           6          30+4             1d10+3d6
Skill bases as a bear, with modifers for stats
Armour      4 points skin and fur

    Well, I wouldn't want to meet that on a dark night! Apologies for any miscalculation in the attack bonus; it's been a long time since I played RQ and I couldn't remember how its worked out for animals (doesn't look the same as for humans judging from the RQ3 creatures book).

    Physically, the animal looks much like a bear, except for the dog-like head and tail. It's about the size of a tiger, and is carnivorous. My book of mammalian paleontology carelessly omits to describe the colour (had they never been to Prax/Sartar??) but I'd guess it's brown or black.

    Incidentally, there were many different sorts of bear-dog, most of them far smaller than the above animal. I'm betting on this one because most of the others look much more dog-like and would therefore be unlikely to be called 'bears' by Sartarites. OTOH, they would have been more agile and more likely to 'leap'.

All hail the Reaching Moon

     Trotsky