Ducks : where, and what cults?

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 21:13:33 +0000

On the subject of Ducks.... I'd been trying to figure out their society myself, in a vague sort of way.

What other locations for Ducks are known, apart from Duck Point? River of Cradles implies that the ducks in Prax only arrived there when they fled Sartar in 1613. (Though there are now 1,500 of them in the valley, according to the Pavis Pak; I can't find the corresponding table in RoC). There's a suggestion that some of them fled "to their kin in the Holy Country" - any idea what bit of the Holy Country?

It's always seemed to me that the ducks of Duck Point have been changed from "normal" duck society by having Delecti as a neighbour (giving the Humakti tendency), and by the treaty with Sartar (putting them on better terms with humans than normal), but I'm having problems finding any
"normal" ducks with whom to compare them.

Cults: I gather that ducks used to worship Yelm (or some other sun-god: I'm not getting into that argument!) and this changed when they were
"cursed", so they lost their wings, gained live births and longer
lifespans, and started worshipping Orlanth instead. Fine so far, that's the male deity sorted. But what about the female? All I ever hear is that they worship Ernalda. Why? They're not farmers, they're fishers. Worshipping the river spirit would seem to make more sense. Ancestor worship too, fine, most people do that to some extent. But when they want more food, shouldn't they be praying to the river to send them more fish?

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #450