Where them Ducks?

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 23:23:14 GMT

Jane Williams wants to know about Ducks, their provenance and religious affiliation.

All this is very much IMG.

In my Glorantha the Durulz (as opposed to the Keets who are a whole different package) are a small persecuted people, without a homeland of their own but with immense pride in who they are. (Yes, that's right: they are the Gloranthan equivalent of the Diaspora Jews. And they all have Jewish mothers....)

Their central trait is the fact that they don't know why they were cast down from the skies and why their legendary home (Ganderland) is now denied to them. This makes them irritable and very touchy. They have lost contact (for some primordial God-Time reason) with their defining ancestral cult. Which in my Glorantha is a female deity called variously Mother Duck or Mother Keet. They still have Ancestor Worship but because their Mother made a sacrifice at the Dawning, becoming one with the Net of Dreams they no longer have their own deity and have to adapt to the cults around them.

The Keets in contrast know what she did and why she did it and have a quiet pride and self confidence in knowing that their losses were part of the saving of the cosmos.

They have been driven out of most places they have settled but Duck Point is the longest established centre for them. At some time in the past they were driven from there and established colonies in the coastal cities of the Holy Country, especially Refuge and Nochet, where they are big in the fishing and river trades.

They follow mostly the Orlanthi cults (they can regain some of their flight powers by use of Storm Magics), Ancestor Worship and, as Jane points out, the River gods on whom they depend for much of their livelihood and sustainance.

(Most of the above is from my games, but doesn't AFAIK, contradict any offical
material.)

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo
(Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles:
Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.