Smart Arrows.

From: Paul Chapman <mercutio_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 00:59:04 +0100

Hi everyone, I'll launch straight into comments today:-

V.S. Greene and smart arrows:-

> In the Great Debate over the possibilities of Elves in the Troll Woods,
>James Frusetta flippantly wondered if the elves had "smart arrows".
>
> What a neat idea, actually. Picture a special, incredibly rare weapons
>plant whose fruit is a self-guiding arrow. Maybe they'd only be useful
>against a specific type of enemy. Figure that it would always hit its target,
>maybe even if it is out of sight.
>
> Just a thought.

_You bet_ something like this exists and the elves have it! The Myth of the Arrow (short Godlearner form):-

The Arrow was created by Flamal during the Greater Darkness as a tool to fight Chaos... and Trolls... Flamal slumbered in hell after being slain by Zorak Zoran he sent help to his heroes in the form of Arrow, a special plant that held the power of Death (which Flamal by now well knew). Arrow had many offspring, each of which grew to fight the enemy of the moment with the aid of the prayers of the loyal (and desperate) Aldryami. There were many (dozens of) varieties of Arrow for this reason, each holding his or her secret of Death. Originally the weapon was used as a Javelin or stabbing weapon until some Hero or other found the mystical Elf Bow seed (also sent by Flamal) and created the bow to enhance the power of Arrows. Many of the Arrow plants were destroyed or scattered into small remnants over mythical time, but the scattered groups of elves may hold the secrets of the Arrow. The best known example is the Poisonthorn arrow, a secret held by the Poisonthorn elves of Dorastor (Aldrya revealed it to them at some point in history, but originally it came from Flamal).

Hmm, that wasn't bad. I must develop that, although I'm sure it conflicts with something already developed.
Some notes on the arrows:-

The (special) elven arrows are exceedingly rare. They would be more common apart from the fact that Flamal was dead when Arrow and her offspring were born and fertility very low at that time... when Time was born the pattern was set for Arrow plants and they typically only produce a new arrow once every dozen or so seasons... the arrow is the fruit, and if you want to plant it to create a new Arrow plant, you can't fire it, so production is really slow. :-(
The rituals needed to birth a new Arrow plant are very rare too. It's possible that a more common arrow spell exist that produces simple Elf Arrows, these are alive as described below but have no amazing powers. The ritual to produce them would be common enough so that most Gardeners would know it, but the arrows are still very rare 'cos of their slow growth rate. The arrows are fruit, and thus begin to die when taken from their bush. There is a preservation ritual, which has not spread to all elf communities, that keeps the arrows alive for a certain time (measured in seasons). In RQ terms, a living arrow has POW of 1d6 and is "smart", adding a natural (non-magical) Speedart effect (which stacks with the Battle Magic spell) to the arrow when fired. There are many forms of these arrows, limited only by imagination and myth.  A lot of the arrows were grown against chaos, trolls and dwarves, and their powers tend to reflect this although some (such as the fabled Singing Arrows, Poisonthorn Arrows, etc) are more generalised in purpose. Nobody short of a big Elf Hero will ever see more than one or two types of these arrows.

I could write more, but that will do for the purposes of this posting. Comments, anyone? Should I develop this further?

BTW, for citation purposes I took 95% of the above out of my head. The rest came from the Cults Book or Elder Secrets or Dorastor, LoD.

Paul.

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #451