Why LBQ?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 21:50:40 +0100 (BST)

Michael Raaterova:
> Speaking of the Lightbringers, am i alone in believing that the LBQ (from
> an orlanthing POV) aimed not to get Yelm back, but to awaken/resurrect
> Ernalda from her sleep/death and to free Elmal from the commands of Uncle
> Yelm that held Elmal from leaving the Underworld?

That's not the Sartarite view (it'd seem, from KoS), on both counts. But I can easily see some other other Barbarian Belt societies making this sort of interpretation. I'd think some of the pro-Arkat types in Ralios, for example, very much take an attitude of "Yelm's still dead -- good!", and for that reason put more emphasis on other aspects of the quest, like wife-rescuing. OTOH, any version of Elmal that has _him_ in the underworld is a very different one, Monomythically speaking, I think.

Slainte,
Alex.