Yelm/Elmal question

From: Owen Jones <oj_at_maths.anu.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 17:11:05 +1000 (EST)

Forgive the naivety of the following, but is it possible that Elmal is entirely a construct of Argath's heroquesting? King of Sartar was after all based on sources written while Argath was about, presumably with his approval.

In any case, I would love to see an account of how the Orlanthi managed to think of the Sun as the Evil Emperor _and_ as Boy Wonder Elmal at the same time, or does Orlanth teach "reconsile split personality" to all his initiates free of charge?

In fact, why would anyone worship the Winter Sun (=Yelmalio I think) when the Summer Sun is available as an alternative? Is there a Yelmalio ceremony mid-year for saying farewell to (the manifestly more powerful) Summer Sun and welcoming the (relatively weak, but somehow more loveable) Winter Sun back?

Not attempting to be controversial, just curious.

Owen Jones
Centre for Maths and its Applications, School of Math. Sciences Australian National University, ACT 0200 Ph +61 6 249 2897 (office) 249 4552 (direct) Fax +61 6 249 4675 Web page http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~oj/