Peaceful cut

From: Bill.McKinley_at_mailhost.dpie.gov.au
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 8:23:34 +1000

                      Peaceful cut                                 4/6/97
Michael Cule said:
>I've had players who try to roll their Peaceful Cut (which must be under
>their Butchery skill or is it their Ceremony skill... Neither of which are
>very high) and fail.

>They then turn to me and say: "I've failed. Am I allowed to eat the meat?"

A successful Peaceful Cut allows the spirit of the creature to depart in peace. But the average PC has no way of knowing whether he/she has been successful in achieving this end.

As a result, I would contend that the PC (as opposed to the player) would not be able to distinguish between a successful roll and a normal failure. So yes, they would eat the meat because they would assume that the Peaceful Cut worked.(although consistent failures may have long term spiritual implications for the PC concerned)

On a fumble, it would be clear that the PC had fouled up. Maybe the knife slipped or something...

It would presumably be possible for a PC with mastery of the skill to be able to tell whether the cut was done correctly -- "A good attempt my son, but you must cut higher up."

Bill McKinley