Smart Arrows; Goat Transfer (Maaaah)

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 23:40:04 -0400 (EDT)

I agree with your assessment of the power of elf archery -- as long as you play them right, elves are extremely powerful. Little can beat an elf army on its home ground.

Oh, advantage of sureshot -- I think Arrowtrance is generally superior, but if you positively absolutely need to put an arrow in a troll, that's what Sureshot is for. Probably a big nasty poison arrow, natch, with tons of battle magic.

>>Though I actually _do_ like the idea of tossing trollkin in the way of
>>missile fire. A fine trollish martial arts skill, IMO, similar to
>>arrow catching/deflecting and suitable for wizened troll sensei.
>Not really. Why do the Uz play Trollball? Drop kick is all they need.
What? You've never heard of the dread and horrible Blue Moon Ninjuz? <rimshot>

In all seriousness, I think an uz martial art would be logical enough for the Blue Moonies. Probably something devious, sneaky and distracting.

>I don't think the Elves worship the Golden Bow cult of the Pentans.
Ah. Devin must have simply God Learnered several "bow cults" into one -- I believe he had it existing among Elves, Yelmalions and Pentians. Certainly, if there's an elf bow cult, it would be the more appropriate provider.

I'm not sure anyone's mentioned Dragon's Claw -- their duck minis were fairly nice, and they offered a small range (um... I believe they had hero, standard bearer, musician and one or two others). Theyr'e out of business, but you might find 'em at a specialty shop. I'm not sure if they still provide them directly after Chaosium yanked their license -- I can dig out the address if anyone wants it.

> Point for James Frusetta has been most obstreperous. He has consistently
> refrained from addressing the social ecology of the Kitori, and their
> subsequent interaction with other tribes, in favor of roleplaying a Zorak
> Zorani monologue (orate skill check to you, Sir.)
Oh, come on. A jolly ZZ boot to the head for you, sir. The constant rebuttle of "pogrom-loving Zorak Zorani" rings charmingly to the ears of one who studies the Balkans; with a bit of work, you might achieve the level of debate achieved by rabid right-wing Serbs and Croats. Try spitting between syllables.

*Sigh* Perhaps you're trying to be funny, but I would point out with some annoyance that I've suggested several reasons why Elves and Trolls could cooperate, and have _agreed_ it could occur. It does occur -- you _have_ been reading my responses, right? Go back and read 446, 450, 452. I've even _suggested_ ways it might occur. David Cake states (probably more eloquently) the reasons I, too, don't agree your "social ecology." Criticism happens, and twice as often on the Digest.

Gosh. And here I was really running around and smashing stuff with a maul while frothing at the mouth. Silly me. Glad you explained that to me. :P

>I have been actively running a game in the Troll Wood for seven months now.
Good! I only know of a couple of troll campaigns, and I think they're quite rewarding. I've run two -- oddly enough, I don't think I've ever had a Zorak Zorani in them. Nor have I ever played one. Strange, how stereotypes can be false, no?

In fact, for general Digest reference: I am _not_ a Zorak Zorani. I'd rather be a Karrg's Son. ;) Go Herka Bonegnasher!

> I was invited to participate in the upcoming Book of Drastic Resolutions
> featuring trolls, but have since then lost all interest. Too bad.
Before you pull an Achilles, I might suggest that there may well be people _who agree with you_ and would like to see your and Carolyn's stuff on the Kitori. Not everyone uses everything published for Glorantha -- for a BoDR example, I don't care for the cult of Urain in Volume Chaos and would probably never use it as a GM. So what? Doesn't mean it's badly written. Others may like it. Others may prefer your Kitori to the (very limited) published sources, or to what several people have expressed on the digest. They can't unless they see it, natch. Too bad for them, yes.

Anyway, enjoy the goat. I call him "Snowball." Maaaaah.