elmal and other stuff

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 23:39:11 +1200

Boris:

Me>>The Orlanthi at the Dawn believed that the Sun they rescued was Elmal.

>This goes against the part of the myth that had Elmal left defending
>Orlanth's stead while O & Co. were out on the quest.

You're right and this myth of Elmal as the homeguard probably has a different origin IMO. The homeguard concept refers chiefly to much of the Northern Orlanthi following Elmal during the Great Darkness. Even when he did not return from the Hills of Gold one day, they still revered his memory. But King Heort arrives and preaches to them the ways of Orlanth. So how does he get them to accept Orlanth? He tells them that Orlanth entrusted Elmal as the homeguard while he went to look for the Grand Order (this is before the Dawn BTW). The Elmali know that their ancestors followed Vingkot who was a storm worshipper so this is acceptable to them.

Then came the first Dawn which screwed that mythical explanation up. Who else could the Sun be but the returned Elmal?

>So, the immediate
>question is, what "Light" were [the lightbringers] "Bringing"?
>Did they know that EE was a light deity, but just weren't sure
>which one?

KoS mentions the Grand Order as "a blazing mirror of fire" so IMO the Orlanthi believed that the Lightbringers were bringing back the Sun. I think however they originally thought that the Sun and the Emperor were two separate people and it wasn't until Nysalor's time that the Orlanthi acquired the Pavlovian reflex of equating Sun with Evil Emperor.

David Boatright:

>>The Orlanthi at the Dawn believed
>>that the Sun they rescued was Elmal. They don't know of Yelm
>>until a few centuries later. In the end, the good aspects of
>>the Emperor devolve onto Elmal while the bad aspects devolve
>>onto Yelm IMO.

>Where does this come from Peter. Have you found some LBQ which
>details this.

If only. Then we could save ourselves a lot of worry. The chief data points are the infamous 'Making Gods' essay in KoS and the Ivory Pages of the GRAY p87 which follows.

	'Eventually these two cultures [Orlanthi and Dara Happan]
	fused into a single entity called the Golden Empire of
	Nysalor [...].  During the friendly century of this era
	occured a fusion of the two mythologies of Dara Happa
	Yelm and Theyalan Orlanth.  For instance, the part of
	Rebellus Terminus was taken by Orlanth and he was associated
	with the Disruptor Constellation by other peoples.  Likewise,
	it was an easy step the Orlanthi Emperor to become the God
	Yelm.

Nils Weinander:

>The Immanent Masters transform only the body,
>and so miss out on the entire concept.

The Masters would have you know that the Soul is transformed by the constant study of the mantras of Charismatic Wisdom. The foolish mandarins are ignorant of the True Knowlege contained therein and so are forced to rely on heathen doctrines imported from Bliss in Ignorance. Because of this error, they are inevitably reincarnated as lawyers, tax collectors and ignorants in their next life...

Shon Vaughan:

>Is it possible to remain a devout Orlanthi while enjoying the benefits and
>luxuries of Lunar citizenship? Do mainline Orlanthi treat these Orlanthi as
>traitors?

Given the example of Faltikus the Good, High Priest of Orlanth in Pavis, who is not a citizen AFAIK but is pro-lunar and devout, I would say that such a thing is possible. Many fanatical Orlanthi would treat these people as traitors but are inhibited from doing so by the lunar authorities. Of course, the Priests would be sending anything they can (such as impests) so it may not be pleasant.

>What is the gestation period for a broo?

Two seasons plus 1 to 8 weeks.

>Is the host conscious and aware? If so, wouldn't people try to commit
>suicide afterwards?

Yes and no they won't commit suicide as they can try and find a healer with 'cure chaos wound'.

>What does a broo larvae look like?

Like an embryoic broo.

Hasni Mubarak:

>First, what's the inherent joke in the name "Nochet?"

	'...actually the "No-Shit" pronunciation is wrong
	despite my normal scatological sense of humour.
	It is acutually "Not-yet", pronounced "Nah-Chet"
	around here.  Rudy Kraft pointed to a map and said,
	"Does this city have a name?" and I said "Not yet,"
	and he said, "then we are going to Nochet," and it
	was named.'
			GS ToTRM#4

I'd always thought (until I saw this) that the name was meant to be pronouced in mock-french thus "No-Chay".

James Frusetta:

>In all seriousness, I think an uz martial art would be logical enough for
>the Blue Moonies. Probably something devious, sneaky and distracting.

I would have thought that you would be claiming Cloaking Devices for the Blue Moon Uz. Y'know Decloak, Bite Victim's Head Off, Encloak. But I'm not sure that Uz would have martial arts in the hooman sense as their primary tactic of unarmed combat is bite.

Owen Jones:

>So, to get things to work, we have to have a host of suns or sun related
>gods, only one of whom is the actual Evil Emperor Yelm. Yelm has been in
>conflict with storm=Orlanth for some time, and summer represents the
>period in which he was ascendant.

To put people's minds at ease, it would be better to view Yelm and Elmal as cultural names for *the* Sun God rather than imagine a seperate sun god for Yelm and so forth IMO. Thus we can understand the conflict in terms
 of _culture_ rather than split the hairs of pin-dancing angels about the nature of gods. In Alexanderine terms, I'm a subjective perception of a manifest variable objectivist (SPOAMVO for short).

Thus the Yelmalio Cult (as preached by Monrogh) has its origins in the desire of some Sun-worshipping Orlanthi who are envious of the Dara Happans and seek to imitate their ways over the objections of kindred conservatives.

>The winter sun (Elmal) however...

A minor point which is not aimed at Owen alone. In KoS, Elmal is the Sun. He is known for giving winter protection, but he is not recognized as the Winter Sun (as opposed to the Sun in Summer, Spring, Autumn and Storm Season).

This is not to say that the idea of the Sun in Summer being Yelm is utter crap for the four winds analogy would work. But I don't think Elmal is universally thought of as the Winter Sun.

>On the other hand, Yelmish cults must hate Elmal with a passion, seeing
>him as a traitor.

They view Elmal as a foreign and uncivilized barbarian. He is not a traitor as he was never one of them.