I concede... it's Muay Thai for UZ.

From: Daniel McCluskey (Volt) <"Daniel>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 09:32:16 -0700

Martin, et al have proved by overwhelming argument and superior knowledge of Martial Arts, that the preferred mode of unarmed combat amongst uz is very similar to Thai Boxing. It has become clear to me that they are correct.

(my only MA training was in Judo... so this whole punching/kicking thang is kinda confusing to me...)

notes:

        duh, Trolls CAN easily see if someones pregnant... which absolutely destroys my argument for no belly punches. That aside, I must gleefully admit that making your opponent vomit is a particularly glorious feat for a troll. (unless of course, you happen to be fighting an ogre ;-)

        As an addition/nitpick, I will argue that only very highly trained/practiced trolls would kick to full effect. Most Uz would probably prefer to keep both feet under them (on account of not wanting to risk falling down and getting stomped/sat on.) A favorite tactic vs. elves and humans is likely to be knocking the opponent over, pinning the chest under your foot, and ripping arms off.

Also:

        What effect/advantage would darksence give when attempting to hit pressure points? If you can see if somebody's full or pregnant, wouldn't you be able to spot joints or previous injuries more effectively. A troll could plainly see that their opponent had a fragile (previosly broken) rib or leg and aim attacks there. Could a troll be trained to be able to actually SEE nerve bundles/joints and other weak spots? "It hurt when Ulg touch you >there< no?..." "ARGGHEEGHH!! yes! yes! Uncle! STOPP!!!" No guesswork at all in a kidney punch for an Uz... Kinda lowers the MA learning curve a bit, it would seem.

danm

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #485