God learning

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 18:49:11 +0800

>>One
>>worthwhile digest project, I humbly suggest, would be a very brief 'God
>>Learner history', of things that everyone more or less agrees on (with
>>annotations and explanations for where one culture significantly
>>disagrees).
>
>It's called the Jrusteli Monomyth and can be found at the front
>of the Cults book in Gods of Glorantha

        No, thats the God Learner mythology. A God Learner history would be considerably less ambitious in its explanatory powers, but would still be useful. Avoid trying to place all mythic events that one culture explains, only try to place events that are known to several cultures (such as, of necessity, celestial events, but particular major cataclysms and so on would also be known).

>>We could start with the objectively visible (ie astronomical
>>bodies and their coming and going), rather than attempting the monomyth
>
>Given in the Ivory Pages of the GRAY ("Heaven Corrupted" p88-89).
>The trouble with this is that half the records lie for political
>reasons

>The other half of the time, the records are vague and scholars
>argue over their meaning.

        I never said it was that easy, and perhaps it isn't quite possible yet, as currently the only decent celestial sources are Pelorian. But in theory, it is quite possible.

        The celestial events are a classic example of the Hidden Variable Objectivism approach to Glorantha. As the various celestial objects are all visible to everybody, it is obvious that there is a 'true' objective description of what happens. But the various sources will shroud this in a great deal of interpretation, and put their own cultural mythic slant on it. Its also a good example of why we need the Hidden Variable explanation, though the Gloranthans don't - we want to create the other cultures interpretations ourselves.

        David