Re: spirit hunting, mixed opinions, survey

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 19:45:45 +0000

> From: Dave Bailey <db_at_uk.hboc.com>
> I've always viewed spell spirits as "game" on the spirit plane. The
> shaman will hunt the game and bring it back alive to the material plane
> were it is "consumed" by the student. ...
and more good stuff on the same lines. I like it!

I can see this being the case in Prax: it is, having read that, IMG. It may be the case in Sartar. What do you see happening in cultures that have no hunting tradition but do have spirit magic? Do the priests "herd" spirits? Grow them in fields? Maybe that's why civilised places have fixed temples that the Praxians don't need: you have to settle down in one place to tend crops of either wheat or spirits? Maybe the temple-grown spirits are tamer, easier to beat in spirit combat? But the free-range ones have more "flavour" - in the sense of more personalised special effects with the spells?

> From: Chris Bell <remster_at_interport.net>
> I'm confused by this. How can Orlanth be 'well disposed' to the Red
> Goddess for doing one thing, and still be at odds for her actions in
> annother case?

Well, to take a RW example, I can be well-disposed to you for asking good questions about Peloran/Orlanthi relations, be at odds with your actions of quoting the entire Digest in the process, and be impressed by your prompt apology. Does that help?

On the poll:
>(a) Came into Glorantha via gaming, as opposed to fiction? (KoS, Gray, etc.)
Sort of. I met Glorantha through gaming, but KoS was the first Glorantha-related publication I bought and the one that got me hooked.

>(b) Still play Glorantha-based RPG's (RQ, other home-grown variants) Yes. As often as possible.

>(c) Seriously write Gloranthan based essays or fiction (Myths, Stories, Poems, etc?)
Don't know about seriously, but I spend more time writing than I do playing.

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml