coupla topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 17:45:37 +1200

David Cake:
DC>>>One worthwhile digest project [...] would be a very brief 'God

>>>Learner history', of things that everyone more or less agrees on (with
>>>annotations and explanations for where one culture significantly
>>>disagrees).

Me>>It's called the Jrusteli Monomyth and can be found at the front
>>of the Cults book in Gods of Glorantha

> No, thats the God Learner mythology. A God Learner history would be
>considerably less ambitious in its explanatory powers, but would still be
>useful.

Given that many cultures do not draw a distinction between myth and history (ie is the tale of Heort's Life pure myth? is the tale of ) and that the God Learners adopted an artificial benchmark for classification (ie History began at the Dawn, Myth was what happened before the Dawn), the distinction seems unimportant.

>Avoid trying to place all mythic events that one culture explains,
>only try to place events that are known to several cultures (such as, of
>necessity, celestial events, but particular major cataclysms and so on
>would also be known).

I must say this is the general tactic used by the Jrusteli monomyth. The End of the Golden Age, the Great Darkness, the Survival Stories and the Great Compromise are all in there.

Erich Schmidt:

>OK, then why are [the Lunars] in Sartar? What
>is the difference between the natives of Sartar that causes such hatred when
>none seems to exist in Saird, Aggar, etc.

Tarsh and Holay were hotbeds of unrest when the Lunars conquered them. According to the Genertela Book, it took a century for the Lunar Way to become dominant in Tarsh (and even then you still had the Farpoint Tribes and the Tarsh Exiles seceding). Similar unrest will continue to occur in Sartar for a while yet.

As for the public rationale of conquering Sartar, the Fortunate Succession states (under the reign of the Emperor Ignifer):

        'In 7/30 Ignifer assembled a great army, and he led it
        south to crush the rebel god Orlanatus.  This deity had
        persisted in making trouble since the reign of Murharzarm,
        and had been continually beaten.  But this god required
        trouble in order to survive and so he kept at it.  Ignifer
        executed a great plan, whose preparation had been working
        for many centuries, which would finally encompass this
        unruly spirit, and while still allowing it to live would
        incorporate it within reasonable limits'.

As the Fortunate Succession is partly propoganda, not everything stated above is true (except in the Ministry of Truth sense).

>If Sartari freedom fighters infiltrate these Lunar/Orlanthi countries would
>they be able to start a resistance based on a similar religious stance as in
>Sartar? Or, because there are different myths would this effort meet major
>difficulties?

It would arouse some unrest but the Sartarites would not be able to get the hearts and minds of all Orlanthi (most would prefer the peace and quiet of the Empire). However infiltrating freedom fighters with pamplets of Orlanthi propoganda seems rather unOrlanthi. They would be far more likely to exploit the Empire's weakness and invade with a big army (as they did in Tarsh) rather than surreptiously try and trigger a revolt. Afterall wars yield more plunder.

Carl Fink:

Me>> ObTopic: I just remembered that the Cult of Immanent Mastery
>> is also worshipped in Bliss in Ignorance. How did it get
>> there?

>The PoIM was there before Sheng, before the God Learners, before
>Kralorela as a nation.

For Kralorela this is true, but BiI doesn't really qualify as Kralorela until historical times. Furthermore the Path is not one of the foes of Emperor Thalurzni who are exiled to Bliss in Ignorance.

>Remember, the Kralori (IMO) descend from Dragon Hsunchen. I suspect
>PoIM is a remnant of their old "Hykim/Mikhy" Hsunchen-style worship.

I agree that the Kralori of Kralorela proper are probably descended from Dragon Hsunchen. I also agree that the PoIM is a relic of that Hsunchen past (but feel it has undergone some obscure modification between that time and the time the God Learners fooled around with it). However the Kralori of the East Isles and Vormain are not descended from Dragon Hsunchen so it is not automatic that the Ignorant Kralori must also be descended from Dragon Hsunchen.