(Objectivism, etc.)

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:24:49 -0400

(I wrote a big post, then my PC crashed. Here are the summary highlights)= =2E

Oliver wrote:

I think you, like me, are an HVO (Blind Man groping an Elephant), to use Alex's tag. The "objective/subjective" thing seems (to me) to hang around=

whether or not Gloranthans would understand the arguments about Glorantha=

that we're having. "Objective" tends to create a GM-mechanical POV, while=

"Subjective" leads to the kind of arguments a Gloranthan worshipper or priest might conceivably hold. As there's enough evidence within Gloranth= a
that the gods *aren't* clearly and objectively understood by anyone (e.g:=

Yelmic Dara Happa vs. Yelmic Nomads; Lokamaydon vs. Harmast; Malkioni sects; Dwarf heresies; the whole Monotheist - Theist - Animist - Mystic thang), the usefulness of objective arguments can be questioned: without chucking out loads of myth and history, denying PCs the Free Will you gra= nt
their gods, etc., it's clear the world doesn't work the way Objectivists would like it to.

Erich writes:

> Having a half different societies with different cultures and myths
> is neat and all, but its nothing special to me. Half a dozen cultures
> whose myths are related and who have different POV's and slants on the
> myths interests me.

Agreed. Having Imperial, Provincial, Arrolian, Redlander and Heretical Lunar beliefs only works if they are different "takes" on the underlying Lunar Way. Similarly, Malkioni Heresies.

Rich writes:

> Anyhow, the best part of painting the world in black and white is
> having things to contrast against it. =

Agreed. Paint the Lunars in black and white, the Sartarites in black and white, and that's a viable way forward. Paint Lunars black, Sartarites white, and that's a knee-jerk.

Alex muses:

> One could _theoretically_ discuss kick-the-ball scores with Harrek,
> but even aside from considerations of continued bodily integrity,
> would you get a very to-the-point response from him?

Depends. Do you support his favourite team? (Probably wise).

Martin fulminates:

> This digest is not about our own gameworlds, it's about Glorantha
> as published, written and explored through the common background
> we all know and largely have access too. Sure there is variance,
> sure there is disagreement but if in your Glorantha the Lunar Empire
> wins and in mine it doesn't suddenly we don't have that much to talk
> about.

Half agreed. We have *lots* to talk about up until the Evil Empire wins, which would presumably be the main setting of Danny's campaign. And the player-handouts Danny writes for victorious pro-Lunar characters can be adapted by any GM in a recognisable Glorantha as background knowledge and=

motivation for his own Lunar villains and NPCs. Likewise, "own Gloranthas= "
where (e.g.) the Kingdom of War doesn't exist can still be viable thought=

experiments for other folks' campaigns.

I use "IMG" to qualify a statement usually when I either *know* there's a= n
ill-thought-out fifteen-year-old contradiction in print and don't need to=

be reminded of it (e.g: much to do with the Holy Country), or else when there's *no* accepted common ground and I don't want to start an argument=

(e.g: Kitori, Elmal, nature of gods). It's a useful shorthand for "take i= t
or leave it", dampening likely flamage, and I'd hate to see it go.

Martin has, IMO, presented the best argument against Hero-level games: wh= en
the Big Bananas of Glorantha aren't Harrek, Jar-Eel, Argrath and the Bat but some bunch of PCs nobody's ever heard of, we as a community do hit so= me
kind of communication barrier. It's also the best argument against creati= ve
god-fucking heroquests, too, IMO. (And, perhaps, against Onslaught and Deville :-)

Carl poses:

> (I also consider "national character" arguments like the above
> fallacious, but that's not as directly relevant.)

Typical American! :-)

::::
Nick
::::