Pharoah & OOO resurrection, Shark fishing

From: Peter Linton Tracy <937058_at_bud.cc.swin.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:26:56 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997
   Paul Chapman               Pharoah, "stuff"
   Andrew Joelson             Only Old One
   Owen Jones                 Konta shark callers

Paul Chapman said about taking Gloranthan Myth Seriously:

> Klyfix on imagination:
> ======================
> >Maybe it's my strange perspective, but isn't this all taking a
> >fictional construct way the heck too seriously?
>
> Sort-of-true-comment 1: British (frex) law is a construct of fiction,
> sustained only by the fact that it is taken seriously by a lot of people -
> the lawyers mostly, who couldn't live without it, of course. This is _not_
> really different from the above... if nobody took the British law seriously
> it would have no power over anybody's lives. Because we are interested in
> Glorantha and take it seriously, it has power over our lives, too. This is
> not a Bad Thing... we _choose_ to take glorantha seriously; if I choose to
> not take British law seriously, other people will try to _force_ me to take
> said fictional construct seriously, imposing their work of fiction upon me.

For more on the myth overtaking reality a must-read is Jorge Luis Borghes "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius" from his book "Labyrinths". In which the finding of an encyclopeadia with references to a fictional world leads to further writing and discovery of materials, leading to the eventual subversion of "this" reality by that of the writing. An interesting concept, and a great criticism of concensus reality and history!!

I'm all for bunking that Lawyer myth. Anarchy for Prime Minister! ;-P

As far as I'm concerned, Klyfix is realy concerned about, and us being complete nuts and waking up in Sartar in a Lunar Prison (read Asylum)... Hmmm... almost time for my medicine... ;-)

Paul Chapman on the Pharoah;

> I believe. From what I remember, Jar-Eel and her cohorts entered the
> Pharoah's MOLAD HeroQuest as "The Red Guards" (an unknown part of the HQ
> that the Pharoah had to pass) and ambushed him there. A HeroQuest
> assassination!

Also, has anyone not noticed the similarities between Pharoanic Reincarnation and that of the Red Emperor. The Lunars made a preemptive strike to protect trade secrets!!

Andrew Joelson on the Only Old One:

> I once asked Sandy if the Only Old One wasn't going to pop back
> up during the Hero Wars. I had this idea that Belintar fought, lived &
> died, and was reborn; so why couldn't the OOO do the same?

Consider this possibility not only for the OOO, but also Sheng, Belintar and anyone else if the Lunars are beaten in a few guerilla-HQ raids. Only problem is Belintar and Sheng are in a Lunar Hell-Prison, not in the TRUE-DEATH state natural to Glorantha, so the raid requires a lot of secial knowledge and inside work.

Owen Jones on the Konta shark callers

> I watched a fascinating documentary on the weekend that I thought might
> interest some digest readers. The subject of the document was the Konta
> people of New Ireland (part of Papua New Guinea).

There was a National Gographic a few years ago with a very similar ritual for Native American whale-hunters. This stuff is great material for Gloranthan myth, hooray for cultural documentaries!!! :-_at_