The unbearable falseness of beings

From: Mystic Musk Ox <mab_at_sdc1.bnsc.rl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:18:08 GMT

Martin Laurie:

>They don't "know" that the other culture is right - quite the contrary - they
>"know" the other culture is WRONG.

Right, I can see that this might be the case. But as far as I can dimly remember, the Romans, Greeks etc, didn't dismiss barbarian gods, they just classified them as an other aspect of their own gods. So they were accepting that the God presented different aspects to different worshippers, but they still agreed that there was the same god there, not different ones. Maybe this isn't how it works in Glorantha though.

>No culture would interact with another without mythically defining that
>interaction and given the relative simplicitiy of heroquesting for that
>information the myth will be there in no time to prove that the false sun
>is a false sun and _why_its a false sun. Sure they can get magic but
>its _false_ magic and why? _BECAUSE_ THEY ARE FALSE!!!!

That's ok in the Real World (tm), since there is no magic, DI etc, to speak of. But if False Priest 39b sets fire to your house with a Sunspear (or whatever), how do you explain that as being due to a false god? An EVIL god, yes, but not a false one, surely?

More problematic, suppose that the two cultures actually get along. What happens if initiates or priests from Cult (A) worship at Cult (B)'s temple...do they get nothing, do they get Culture (A) spells, Culture (B) spells, both, or a lightning bolt up the jacksie? What happens in game terms?

If two cultures:

then this causes me problems because there is a fundamental contradiction here, which doesn't occur in the real world. A part of me needs to know the relationship between the gods. I know that in the real world there are people who could probably believe this, but I can't... Just saying "Oh their God is false" doesn't seem to help when you get toasted...

yours confusedly,

Mark.