Etyries, etc.

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:05:01 -0400

Stephen responds to me on Etyries/Issaries:
>> If he were an Etyries cultist, his colleagues in the cult
>> would happily help him to plan a route for maximum profit
>> and minimum trouble. [But they wouldn't help an Issaries]

> In Cults of Prax... Biturian and his allied spirit very
> specifically don't see anything wrong with the market at
> Moonbroth being a Lunar/Etyries market instead of an
> Orlanthi/Issaries one.

Also in Cults of Prax, Biturian gets shafted with the worst pitch at the Etyries-run market in Corflu. He comes to see the Etyries priest who runs=

it as an enemy, and is glad when he walks off to his death in the desert.=  I
think you'd have a hard time generalising from these two encounters. It's=

possible (and likely) that Biturian and Eye-Whisper are making sure the Moonbroth market is a bona fide Created Market (i.e. that the same magica= l
protection is available to traders that they would have at an Issaries market), not that they're making a complex theological statement.

Leaving intra-temple politics aside, cultists will always help fellow cultists in preference to outsiders (just think of the Freemasons!). And the specific circumstances of my answer to Marco were of an Issaries trad= er
swanning off into the heart of the Lunar Empire; it doesn't stretch credulity to believe his reception might be different, and more legally-constrained, in the heartland of the Etyries cult (where all mann= er
of established local relationships are being threatened), than it would b= e
out on the frontier, where the Etyries traders are *expecting* to trade with foreigners and outsiders to obtain their exotic produce.

"Sell those goods to me here, and I'll help you. Then I can carry them to=

Glamour and make a profit for myself. But if you want to take that carava= n
of goods all the way to Glamour yourself, that's quite a different proposition..."

James has "simple" questions:

> When you HeroQuest do you remain in the physical plane?

Sometimes, yes. Biturian Varosh was rescued by a "heroquesting" Rurik Runespoon while in mundane Shadows Dance, and could tell he was a heroquester by the look in his eyes. But at other times you pass wholly t= o
the Other Side (Hero Plane, God Plane, Spirit World, Outer Glorantha: you=

name it!).

> How did cults originate?

Yelm created humans so they could worship him. It's what we're for. (Says=

the Glorious ReAscent of Yelm).

Peter writes:

> The Pharoah has full control over the body until it 'wears out'
> (although no published information is available as to what this
> wearing out entails - does he take to his deathbed?).

=46rom discussion with Greg and others, it appears the "stress" of housin= g
the mighty spirit of Belintar usually causes the host body to age unnaturally quickly: it does indeed 'wear out', and there's a higher turnover of Pharoah-bodies than you might otherwise expect. It certainly appears as if the Pharoah inhabits each body until its death.

My own opinion on the thorny question of Broo inbreeding is that Broo are=

naturally Goaty, and will tend to display Goaty attributes whatever the "genetic" makeup of the mother/host and father might be. I think Wakboth and Cacodemon also display Goat-like attributes, and perhaps Thed does as=

well.

I'm aware that Broomeister Sandy has said Broo look goatlike because goat= s
are easy targets in highland areas... but I don't think that's the whole story.

Alex:

> If you're some sort of Foreign Troll, maybe you have to have
> yourself registered as Visiting Monster

Surely within the Empire you'd have a legal status of "Wandering Monster"= ,
complete with a passport proclaiming this? :-)

::::
Nick
::::