Who wants to know?

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 08:09:34 -0400 (EDT)

rwholfe wrote:
> Frankly, I've been running and playing Gloranthan RQ for almost
> twenty years, and some of you might be surprised how infrequently
> my players (or my characters) have wanted to know exactly how
> Darksense worked.

Sheesh, I get asked it constantly, thought the fact that every other player is playing a troll probably has something to do with it. Since there are AFAIK at least three more troll campaigns out there, I suspect there's other players who want to know, too. And it's fun just to wonder about, in and of itself.

The great thing about such topics on the digest, IMO, is that I can archive 'em and use them later. So when weird questions come up (e.g., a player asked a month or two back how volcanoes work in Glorantha, what kind of rock layers are present, etc. etc.) I can skip through the Digests past and see if there was a neat answer. Even though I'm skipping through a subject now doesn't mean it won't be useful and interesting later.

Are college campaigns more prone to this kind of thing, I wonder? Throwing a couple engineers, a planetary scientist, a historian, a linguist and a theater major into a room together and exposing them to a weird universe has always seemed to provoke lots of questions in my experience. "You see a Duck." "Do Ducks dance?" "What do their houses look like?" "What does the marsh look like?" "What language do they speak?" "Do they do interpretive dance?" "What does it look like?" "Do they all talk like Donald Duck?"

Enough to drive a GM mad, I tell you. Mad! ;)