Wee weedy trollkin

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 19:03:46 -0400 (EDT)

David Weihe writes on the Curse o' Kin:
> Single birth embryos emplant in a randomly selected section of the lining.
> Some of these find good sites and become Uzko, some find marginal sites
> and become Value Enlo, and some find poor sites and become miscarriages
> within a short time, and are not noticed or counted,
Is the length of gestation also different? Trollpak gives stats for 'Kin, but not 'Ko. I'd always rather thought part of the problem was that trollkin are always born premature.

Premie or womb lining factors assume, though, that the birth process creates or alters the soul, somehow -- since trollkin have crappy little souls compared to a proper troll soul. <Shrug> No profit going down *that* debate path.

> My question is with how Naxili Garang caused multiple births of trollkin
> rather than single births.

Mine would actually be how Gbaji mucked up the trollish womb -- previous to his nasty Korasting HQ, did all troll births automatically find the good sites? Or did ripping Korasting from crotch to chin lower the womb's ability to raise a trollkin?

If it was Gbaji that goofed things up, then I'd guess that Garang wasn't able to *stop* the process, but was able to ensure that if an egg takes to a bad part of the lining, additional eggs will be released to emplant on the womb lining.

A more mythic explanation might be that the potential troll's spirit, before conception, has a HQ of its own. Those spirits that manage to get through the horrors that Gbaji introduced to the troll pre-life cycle become uzko; those that are less lucky are trollkin of varying types. The most successful spirits manage to tap into the pre-Lesser Darkness HQ and become Uzuz. If you don't want to have to deal with the problem, you undertake the HQ that Cragspider learned from Karrg, and your Kid manages to somehow avoid Gbaji and takes the Great Troll HQ path.

>ice trolls

Has GS officially declared that the Uzhim do, in fact, have trollkin? Since they broke away from the Uzko a while back, it's not inconceivable they really are free of the curse, like the Muri. Or that, having broken away in the Greater Darkness, they escaped most of its effects. Just curious -- all the stuff in print still has it up in the air, AFAIK.

>Nysalor apologists

Hang 'em high!