Toasted cheese

From: Andrew Barton <100010.533_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 20 Jun 97 08:21:17 EDT

Pam Carlson said:

> in England, a toasted cheese sandwich is just FRIED BREAD! Yup - that's
right. They just pop the bread in a pan and fry it in butter - no cheese, nothing. (It's true! Even MOB commented on it after a Convulsions a while ago.)

Don't know where this comes from. The toasted cheese sandwiches I've eaten have been cheese put between two slices of bread and toasted. Fried bread is fried bread, in England and Scotland and Wales and the Channel Islands (I'm speaking for only the bits of the British Isles where I have personal experience of the stuff).

In Wales, incidentally, 'laver bread' is seaweed, eaten as a delicacy. I tried it once at that was enough.

I'm sure there's a deep conclusion to be drawn about subjectivity and the perils of observing a culture from the outside, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.

Andrew