many topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 14:34:01 +1200

Erich Schmidt:

>IIRC trolls, elfs, and dwarfs all have the same myth as to their creation,
>correct? Are there any of the above that *don't* believe that their race was
>created by KG, A, WM?

Yep. The Yellow Elves believe that the Sun God created them, the Red Elves believe they are the spawn of the God Slor and the Blue Elves are descended from Murthdrya. (I won't include the Black Elves descent from Mee Vorala as they are not intelligent plants).

Likewise the Troll mythology is likely to be more diverse than the bog-standard. About the only thing they can agree on IMO is that Kyger Litor made them (and that is only because KL means something basic like Oldest Mother).

>And yet, we have a number of origins for the human race. Magical evolution
>from beasts (Hsunchen), direct creation (Yelm, Orlanth?), and spontaneous
>creation (West). (Not sure on that last one). Is Grandfather Mortal (or
>appropriate facsimile) present in all of these myths?

No. Look at the Glorantha Book p24

	'Sometimes what seems obvious is actually a God Learner
	Construct.  Grandfather mortal the first man, is one
	such, made up of many primitive tales about Old Man,
	Grandfather, Old Woman's Man, and others.  The resultant
	story is nearly universally acceptable as a story of
	creation but native to no place.'

As an example, the Dara Happans believe the First Man was Murharzarm. He became the Emperor, built the Gods Wall and was slain by Rebellus Terminus. The Kralori believe that the First Man was a savage being called Wild Man who was utterly wild and copulated with everything under the Sun. The Artmali and Pelandans believe that all humans are descended from gods but there was an ill-defined phase between the two (due to the ills of the world).

>One of my current pet projects is to tie the creation of humankind
>to the of the giants.

Wouldn't this be what the Praxians believe? But why should this be true of every race of humans especially those where no dragons or giants are known?

Howard Feilding:

> A] Can anybody tell me the true name of that city known as the
> Clanking City...I'm sure i've seen it somewhere but can't think where.

Locsil (from Trollpak).

Jane Williams:

>There seem to be a lot of people commenting on Harmast's Saga these days.
>The last I heard, it was unpublished (David Hall kindly sent me two lines
>relevant to my Vingan researches: I've never seen any more.)

Still unpublished. But I'm told that 'the Strange Fragment' in King of Sartar is actually from Harmast's Saga. This would mean that the discovery of the Saga fragment had a strong impact on Argrath's decision to go on the Lightbringers' Quest - compare the events in the Strange Fragment to the Sea Journey (KoS p84) and then look at Argrath's Saga on p31 and following.

>Where in Glorantha do they have potatoes? I've found nowhere that grows
>them, only a prohibition on Light Sons in Sun County eating them. I'd
>guess this is because of their Earth connection, but that's just a guess.

The Lunars are said to have potato-bread avaliable from their Temples (Cults of Prax). I'd assume it's grown within the Lunar Empire as a secondary crop and the potato comes from some place like upper Fronela. As for why the Light Sons have a chip on their shoulder about it, perhaps it's a prohibition against eating roots and tubers (because of the feminine darkness associations) in general?

Joe R. Smith:

>Thanks to all who responded to my request for ideas about fishing on
>Skyfall Lake. As several folks pointed out, there is a Skyfall Lake
>scenario in "Into The Troll Realms" and in the RQ II boxed set "Trollpak."
>(have both) However, that is the Grogge Shoppe encounter, and it does not
>have anything to do with fishing on the lake, other than the background
>document fragment by Redbird.

Then what you probably want is the more detailed information given in Troll facts #3, the yellow handout booklet in Troll Gods. No stats but tons of ideas for what might be dredged up.