You say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:44:22 -0400

"Jane Williams" <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>

> . . . And I found the
>potato. For those of you who don't study these things, one of the main
>differences between medieval and modern cookery is that the potato wasn't
>discovered until Walter Raleigh brought it back from America, and it
>didn't become popular until considerably later. So the place on the plate
>that has potatoes on it these days was always filled by something else.

That and tomatoes. It always strikes me funny when people think tomato sauce is part of "traditional italian cooking".

>Where in Glorantha do they have potatoes? I've found nowhere that grows
>them, only a prohibition on Light Sons in Sun County eating them. I'd
>guess this is because of their Earth connection, but that's just a guess.
>They are not mentioned as being grown in Sun County, Pavis County, or
>Sartar as far as I'm aware. And if it is the earth connection that
>prohibits them, what about barley and other grains, usually taken as
>being the standard Earth symbol in Glorantha?

Potatoes come from *under* the ground, unlike grains, which are on stalks that quite literally grow from the ground and *reach for the Sun*. I'd expand that geas to forbid eating any root crop, peanuts, and water drawn from a well.
- --
Carl Fink carlf_at_dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
<http://dm.net>